Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Changing God's words

John 6:44

Current NIV: No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

TNIV (2005): No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. [identical to NIVI (1996)]

NLT:For people can't come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them from the dead.

ESV: No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Change in meaning: There is a loss of clear emphasis on the Father drawing an individual person. “Them” seems to be plural here, referring to a group. It is an incorrect translation of the third-person singular Greek pronoun autos...

James 1:12

Current NIV: Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life. . . .

TNIV (2005): Blessed are those who persevere under trial, because when they have stood the test, they will receive the crown of life . . . . [identical to NIVI (1996)]

ESV: Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

NLT: God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

Change in meaning: TNIV removes the example of a single “blessed man” who perseveres under trial and changes it to a group: “those” and “they.” The focus on God’s blessing on an individual believer is removed. The TNIV pictures a group under trial and suggests that reward waits until “they” all have stood the test. “Those” is an incorrect translation of the singular Greek word aner, which means “man,” not “person,” and certainly not “those.”

Read this Article: "World Magazine"

Compare Versions @ BibleGateway.com

No comments: