Thursday, April 28, 2005
Friday, April 22, 2005
I found this cool website where they have archived and made available valuable ethnographic materials from the Himalayan region.
They have clips from the district where I grew up, Kaski district.
- Everyday I woke up with these sounds coming from the hill tops. My town is surrounded by huge hills and on top these hills people have built huge monastries. (view)
- My mom's group people. (view)
- My mom's parents were farmers and this is how they prepared their fields. I lived with them for three years, first till third grade. (view) (view)
- My mom now a days goes to Nagaland, North-East part of india, as there are lots of Nepalis. She visits the local christian comunities over there. These clips are from the 70s... all of Nagaland is not necessaraly like this right now but there are still pockets of them left. In high school I had friends from that region and we had dog meat. (view) (view)
- This is how clothes are made and all those expensive carpets... (view)
Friday, April 15, 2005
"To sum up, we may quote the verdict of the late Sir Frederic Kenyon, a scholar whose authority to make pronouncements on ancient MSS was second to none: 'The interval then between the data of original composition and the earliest extant evidence become so small to be in fact negligible, and the last foundation for any doubt that the Scripture have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed. Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established' " (cont...) - F. F. Bruce writes
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
I was blinded by the devil, Born already ruined, Stone-cold dead As I stepped out of the womb. By His grace I have been touched, By His word I have been healed, By His hand I've been delivered, By His spirit I've been sealed. I've been saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved, Saved, And I'm so glad. Yes, I'm so glad, I'm so glad, So glad, I want to thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord, Thank You, Lord. By His truth I can be upright, By His strength I do endure, By His power I've been lifted, In His love I am secure. He bought me with a price, Freed me from the pit, Full of emptiness and wrath And the fire that burns in it. I've been saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved, Saved, And I'm so glad. Yes, I'm so glad, I'm so glad, So glad, I want to thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord, Thank You, Lord. Nobody to rescue me, Nobody would dare, I was going down for the last time, But by His mercy I've been spared. Not by works, But by faith in Him who called, For so long I've been hindered, For so long I've been stalled. I've been saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved By the blood of the lamb, Saved, Saved, And I'm so glad. Yes, I'm so glad, I'm so glad, So glad, I want to thank You, Lord, I just want to thank You, Lord, Thank You, Lord. Copyright © 1980 Special Rider Music
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
- On human life The Gospel of life is at the heart of Jesus' message. Lovingly received day after day by the Church, it is to be preached with dauntless fidelity as "good news" to the people of every age and culture. At the dawn of salvation, it is the Birth of a Child which is proclaimed as joyful news: "I bring you good news (cont...)
- On Politics and Social Justice Two things must be emphasized here: first, the great clarity in perceiving, in all its harshness, the actual condition of the working class — men, women and children; secondly, equal clarity in recognizing the evil of a solution which, by appearing to reverse the positions of the poor and the rich, was in reality detrimental to the very people whom it was meant to help. The remedy would prove worse than the sickness. By defining the nature of the socialism of his day as the suppression of private property, Leo XIII arrived at the crux of the problem. (cont...)